Exactly this would make conversion to and XML file
format seemless and easy once the programs were
converted then the XML file system would continue to
be of use but in this case simple as a front end for a

data base.. The XML file system represents and easy
way to access XML data without knowning the storage
part of the XML daemon.

So I think its of utility beyond providing backwards
compatibility.  This concept could be generalized to
provide the data as XML, Legacy Format or as a flat
file database format for example.

So you could have
/etc
/xetc
/dbetc

dbetc would probably be the "real" storage and not map

directly onto the files on etc and xetc.  I don't know
if this generalization is useful but I would think and

XML file system would be useful beyond the use for
legacy support. This allows the data to be viewed as
XML files but stored externally. Sort of like a
cgi-bin or servelet file system. There is already a
user space file system for linux and I think similar
file systems are aviable for all unices and NT so it
cross platform.

In this context where the config file is in a
"special" file system backed by a db. XML makes a lot
of sense.

Anyway this is the "big" picture behind my intrest in
and XML config format for XFree : )