On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Geoffrey wrote:

> >>Well, I stuck the rage card into another box, used XFree86 -configure
> >>and the card works fine.  the BusID entry was added to the config as
> >>well, inspite of the fact it's a single card in the box.

> >>I don't have another box that has an agp card slot, so I'm not going to
> >>be able to test the radeon/rage together until I have some time to
> >>figure out why it's locking my box up.

> >>Thanks for the insights, further suggestions will be appreciated as I'd
> >>really like to get this going.

> > Well, if you want to figure out why it hangs, you'll have to let it hang.
> > What's left of the log when this happens would be useful.  However, for
> > that to be most useful, an install of the current sources is in order.  Up
> > to you.

> I'm game, but everytime I've pulled cvs, I couldn't get it to compile.
> Now I'm no guru, but I do C for a living, but for the life of me I
> couldn't figure out the various issues.  I'll give it another spin though.

> When you say let it hang, I'm not sure I understand. What I believe is
> happening is a panic of some sort, which would seem to indicate to me
> that there is no further log activity.  I've checked the xfree log under
> /var/log and it appears to me that the logging has stopped and there's
> no real useful information.

> Are you suggesting that if I'd wait long enough, X would give up and I'd
> have access to the box again?  If so, I'd like to kick myself, as all
> along, I've been assuming this was a 'no return' problem that was only
> resoveable via power down.

> That's based on the fact that keyboard leds don't function and I can't
> access the box via network from machines that have normal connectivity
> to this same box.

That's a hang.  The box is not responding to anything.  I'd like to see
what's left of /var/log/XFree86.0.log after the reboot that's needed to
get it out of that state.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |