Right. And in two years or so Xubuntu 14.04 LTS will be outdated again, we can use the Ubuntu 14.04.x -> xubuntu-desktop workaround again until Xubuntu 16.04 LTS is going to arrive (unless the release policies will not change).

Status as of today:

By using any Ubuntu 12.04.x LTS we have a wider hardware support than with using Xubuntu 12.04 or Xubuntu 12.04.4. And this is going to help us in a more successful way to replace XP installations. To replace XPs go with Xubuntu not Ubuntu (Unity) is your message. Did it take you a long time to figure out this strategy?

FMF