USA Notes .....

People who survey and keep track of statistics are reporting that home
XP users have been and still are taking the easy technological route of
upgrading to 7, either legally or illegally.  I doubt if many home
Windows users are thinking about GNU/Linux at all.  Resistance to change
and expense is at play.

Hardly anyone realizes that their Android phones are running a Linux
kernel.  This is similar to the fact that MacOS and iOS users do not
realize that their machines are running an offshoot of BSD Unix.  People
just look at the eye candy and believe that this is the "system".

Commercial use is a different story.  Many businesses are buying new or
converting to Linux.  Faster, more secure, and not more expensive than
Windows.  IBM and Redhat have benefited hugely from this continuing
trend.  The commercial desktops, however, are upgraded from XP to 7
"enterprise edition".  Corporate America is locked into Microsoft Office
and Exchange for the foreseeable future.

Ask anyone on the street in America "what is Linux" and you'll usually
get a blank look.  I often have trouble in social situations explaining
what I do.

For Linux and BSD Unix users and fans, there is still a tall mountain to
climb, especially in communications.

Richard the pessimist (sometimes)