On 4 October 2017 at 13:08, Sean Davis <smd.seanda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What level of moderation is available here?

Most of the site is auto-moderated by people who frequent the site.
It's possible to set specific people as moderators though.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-moderation-guide/63116 has more details.

> Would we use this primarily as a
> bulletin board or would we have some feedback loop? Sorry if some of this is
> obvious, but I haven't used Discourse in the past and don't know how much of
> this is structured.

So the two main goals of the ubuntu community hub are to improve
community communication and ease new contributors into the community.

It's not designed to be a general user-discussion site, like Ubuntu
Forums. The target audience is people who actually want to get
involved. That can be from ISO testing, to packaging to translations
and advocacy. We discourage technical support, because that's served
well elsewhere (askubuntu / irc / forums).

So I'd imagine if you wanted you could use it for open discussion of
upcoming features in Xubuntu, package selection, calls for testing,
announcements. Anything you might currently use irc or mailing lists
for. Those conversations are often buried in a mailman archive or
irclog somewhere, and not exposed where people who want to get
involved can find. I appreciate many people are very wedded to the
existing tools like irc/mail but if we want to expose more of what's
going on and welcome new people, it can be a bit abrasive in 2017 to
use those 'legacy' communication methods. :)

That said, if you guys already have tools you use and you're happy
with, there's no obligation or pressure from me to move everything to
the community hub. I think it would be great if you did, of course,
because it makes discovery easier, but no pressure :)

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Community Advocate

Canonical - Ubuntu Engineering and Services
+44 (0) 7973 620 164
alan.p...@canonical.com
http://ubuntu.com/