> Thanks! I could be good to split into smaller commits to make reviewing
> easier.

I created https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz-java/pull/13 with the
bare bones changes to utilize a utility for array comparisons and an
Unsafe implementation.
When/if that is reviewed and approved, we can move on through the
other implementation options.

> One thing I wonder is if JNI could help.

It would most likely make things faster, but also more complicated. I
like the java version for the simplicity. I am not necessarily looking
to compete with native performance, but would like to get improvements
where they are reasonably available. Here there is some complexity in
supporting multiple implementations for different versions and/or
architectures, but that complexity does not intrude into the core of
the xz code.

Thanks,
Brett