Ross wrote...

Well the libwpe build script says this:

find_package(EGL REQUIRED)

(https://github.com/WebPlatformForEmbedded/libwpe/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt)

I’m confused now as there appears to be two active meta layers that support WPE WebKit. The one you reference meta-wpe and the one I was originally using meta-webkit (https://github.com/Igalia/meta-webkit) as that was the one that included Cog. Is one preferred to the other?

Which suggests that you can't build it without EGL.  You should
investigate whether EGL is simply an option, or whether it's used as a
fundamental part of the rendering.  If it's optional then the Mesa
recipe can build a software GL implementation, if the latter then
you'll need a new browser as software GL is *terrible*.
I’m not wedded to Cog as a browser. I just need something that can support HTML5 and Javascript as it will be running a single page application (SPA) served from localhost.

-Andy.