From: Bill! <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: [Zen] Re: Buddhist meditation practices
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 11 April, 2011, 9:30 AM

Anthony,

Thank you for your language lesson.

For me and in the context of zen 'shikantaza' will always mean 'clear mind'.
The English phrase 'just sit' will also always mean 'clear mind'. In fact the
word 'zen' for means means 'clear mind', so when I say 'zazen' I mean 'sit zen'
or 'sit clear mind' - which is for me 'shikantaza' I wouldn't think anyone
associated with zen would think that this included daydreaming or thinking
about anything at all.

Having said all that I have heard the term 'zazen' to also describe sitting and
working on koans. For me that's not truely zazen. That's focused meditation and
is a teaching technique used as a precursor to zazen (clear mind).

Oh well, such is the tangled web of words...Bill!