Rewrisk,

I think stating that understanding is an encumbrance (more properly stated as 
'the attachment to understanding', to realizing Buddha Nature cannot be said 
enough.  In my experience it is in fact the ONE and ONLY encumbrance.

My first impulse is to answer your question "...what use is enlightenment?" 
with: "Enlightenment is of no use whatsoever", but I'm never sure what another 
means when they use this term 'enlightenment'.  I never use the term 
'enlighenment' myself because I believe the term is mis-used and abused so much 
it's difficult to know exactly what the other person is talking about.

I'd rather use the phrase 'realization of Buddha Nature/Buddha Mind/Original 
Mind', or 'direct experience of reality' - any or all of which I think is what 
you mean when you use the term 'enlightenment'.

So, back to your question.  'What use is 'realization of Buddha Nature'?'  I 
could again answer 'no use at all' but that would be rather coy.  I could also 
answer: "it dissolves suffering".

I think that's a good an answer as I can come up with right now, however I do 
want to make it clear that I don't encourage you to dwell on this 'use' aspect 
because that can cause you to form an attachment to the concept.

...Bill! 

--- In [email protected], "rewrisk" <rewrisk@...> wrote:
>
> Look I understand what you mean in the way an understanding can be an 
> encumberence this is obvious. So obvious to me as to not need stating.
> But tell me what use is enlightenment?
> 
> --- In [email protected], "Bill!" <BillSmart@> wrote:
> >
> > Rewisk,
> > 
> > The word that I would use to describe what I think you're referring to is 
> > just 'experience'.  That's the word I use anyway.
> > 
> > 'Experience' implies awareness but does not necessarily imply understanding.
> > 
> > I continue to disagree with your assertion that 'understanding' is 
> > important, or even possible for that matter.  I again will state that 
> > 'understanding' has nothing whatsoever to do with zen practice except to 
> > act as an encumbrance.
> > 
> > This is my experience.
> > 
> > ...Bill!   
> > 
> > --- In [email protected], "rewrisk" <rewrisk@> wrote:
> > >
> > > No I mean comprehension as an awareness.
> > > The need to comprehend, ultimately to understand, to understand one must 
> > > first comprehend so that understanding may arise.
> > > 25 years and I barely understand what I comprehended one night in one 
> > > hour.
> > > 
> > > --- In [email protected], "Bill!" <BillSmart@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Rewrisk,
> > > > 
> > > > I want to make very certain we're using the same terms the same way.
> > > > 
> > > > If you are using the term 'comprehension' to mean:
> > > > 
> > > > "the act or action of grasping with the intellect : understanding" - 
> > > > Source: Merriam Webster Online 
> > > > 
> > > > ...then I couldn't disagree with you more.
> > > > 
> > > > Comprehension (as defined above) has nothing whatsoever to do with zen 
> > > > practice except to act as an encumbrance.  In fact it is the very act 
> > > > of trying to comprehend that must be stopped (or at least halted 
> > > > temporarily) in order to be fully aware of Buddha Nature.
> > > > 
> > > > This is my experience.
> > > > 
> > > > ...Bill!
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > --- In [email protected], "rewrisk" <rewrisk@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Really Bill.
> > > > > I found the need to comprehend the most important.
> > > > > 
> > > > > --- In [email protected], "Bill!" <BillSmart@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Not to search for enlightenment is essential.
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > ...Bill!
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > --- In [email protected], "rewrisk" <rewrisk@> wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > So what do you think is essential to the search for enlightenment?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>




------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to