Joe,

First sentence. Good point. It's mostly the mind that lies, but the senses also
selectively sample reality rather than taking it all in. E.g. they function as
antennae tuned only to a small spectrum of audial and visual wavelengths. And
they focus light which is unfocused in nature... etc. etc. etc. I explain a lot
of this in my essay on 'Mind and Reality' at http://edgarlowen.info/mind.shtml

As for your last thought. There is no distinction between Buddha nature inside
and out because there is no inside and out, no self and not self, or more
accurately there is such a distinction but it is an illusory categorization of
experience in the mind.

All experience is antecedent (prior) to the distinction between self and not
self... Only once experience gets to the mind does it get categorized into
being part of self or not self.

This is why we can say the universe consists of pure experience, and since this
is a universal phenomenon that is rooted in the universal effect of all forms
on other forms I call it Xperience. Consciousness is simply xperience
manifesting in a sentient organism... But that's another story...

Edgar