uerusuboyo replied " I guess counting the breath is 'bread and butter' for
most people starting out (and also for seasoned meditators). I have found,
however, that the meditation on the breath as taught in the sutras says
nothing whatsoever about counting our breaths. Instead, we just focus on
the breath entering and leaving the nostrils. This works for me much better
than counting because counting can soon become a mantra taking our focus
away from the body. Actual bodily sensations are our doorway into reality
rather than concepts (such as numbers)"

i do want to reply that when i started focusing on body sensations during
meditation instead of counting, i felt more successful in my meditation.
it was a brand new concept to me and if i remember correctly from
instruction is that body sensations cause the intrusive or running stream of
thoughts and if a thought does arise during meditation, gently turn away
from thought and see what the body is experiencing, be it tension,
a slumping in the posture, a tightening of the hands or wrists or heaviness
in stomach or chest. i have been using this as my meditation for over
a year now but it is the first time i have heard of someone else that is
familiar with the practice of it.

Thank you