On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Martin Sustrik <sust...@250bpm.com> wrote:

> However, I believe the most important part of the whole thing haven't
> been mentioned:
>
> To have a sane stable branch someone has to step forward and become the
> maintainer (upstreaming patches from stable, backporting patches from
> master etc.)

>From my original email:

"Of course any maintenance branch needs a maintainer; if the process
for maintaining and testing a branch is easy (which it must become
IMO) then that is not a burden."

And if we use github pull requests there is no upstreaming or
backporting; a contributor who wants a patch to apply to a specific
version simply makes a pull request for that version.

I'm more than happy to help maintain one or more of the release
branches, if/once we've cleaned up the process so that a maintainer is
not required per-se to know the details of every patch applied. This
will require some refinement of the actual release process for a
version but we can come to that later.

-Pieter