On 02/16/2011 12:28 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:

> You've perhaps missed the 'pull request' part of the proposal. Pull
> requests apply to specific branches. The contributor of a change
> explicitly makes a patch against _each_ version branch that he wishes
> to support or fix. There is no back porting or forwards porting. In
> effect the contributor becomes responsible for the code he writes,
> more than the maintainer.

That's not going to fly IMO.

Imagine you are a random developer and want to create a patch.

You can either patch the stable, upstream the fix there, then patch the
master, then upstream the patch there.

On the other hand, you can patch the master a expect that the patch will
eventually trickle down to the stable.

Given that the latter requires half the work and that developers are (in
general) lazy, I would expect everyone take that path, making stable
branch little more than a simple tag on the master.

In short, unless there's a maintainer actually willing to actively
backport patches from the master (and so far I haven't seen anyone
volunteering to do that) the whole discussion about stable is kind of
pointless.

Martin