Hi Pieter,

> I'm more than happy to help maintain one or more of the release
> branches  if/once we've cleaned up the process so that a maintainer is
> not required per-se to know the details of every patch applied. This
> will require some refinement of the actual release process for a
> version but we can come to that later.

To backport the patches from master you have to understand the code.

Anyway, if you are going to maintain the stable, you are the one to
decide about the process. Others can advise, but it's you who's going to
do the work so you should do the final decision.

Also, you should decide where exactly to branch the stable from. I would
suggest the current master, but it's up to you, obviously.

Martin