Rainer Heilke wrote:
Greetings, all.

I put myself into a bit of a predicament, and I'm hoping there's a way out.

I had a drive (EIDE) in a ZFS mirror die on me. Not a big deal, right? Well, I
bought two SATA drives to build a new mirror. Since they were about the same
size (I wanted bigger drives, but they were out of stock), I decided to mirror
the still-good EIDE drive with one of the new SATA drives. When that was
finished, I detached the EIDE drive from the ZFS mirror, and attached the other
SATA drive.

The first disk started giving a bunch of errors almost immediately, and the
mirror is having big problems reslivering. I suspect I need to replace the
disk. The problem is, with the resilver incomplete, I can't rely solely on the
second SATA drive.

How can I revert back to the original EIDE drive? I cannot attach it to the mirror, as
the "master" is now the bad SATA drive. I also get an error saying it is too
small (the drives differ by just a GB or two) when I enter the attach option listing the
EIDE drive first. I _really_ don't want to lose the data in this pool.

So, is there a way to blow away the new mirror (that's easy, actually) and
somehow pull in the old EIDE drive as a new zpool without destroying the data?
I can't see anything in the command options that seems suitable for this. Any
recommendations I can try when I get home after work would be greatly
appreciated.

Rainer

Are you able to hook up the original EIDE drive to the same machine/different machine and do a 'zpool import'?

I assume no new data has been create/modified since the switch to some broken SATA devices?

eric