On 11/11/06, Rainer Heilke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Nope. I get "no pools available to import". I think that detaching the drive
cleared any pool information/headers on the drive, which is why I can't figure out a way
to get the data/pool back.

Did you also export the original pool before you tried this?  I
believe it was said that you can't import a pool if one of the same
name already exists on the system.  (Of course, you should pull the
other disks as well, or it may not import the right pool.)

In any case, I don't think this is expected behavior.  It should be
possible to remove part of a mirror or simply pull a disk without
affecting the contents.  (Assuming that the pool is a single N-way
mirror vdev.)

The manual page for zpool offline indicates that no further attempts
are made to read or write the device, so the data should still be
there.  While it does not elaborate on the result of a zpool detach, I
would expect it to behave the same way, by leaving the data intact.

If it does not work that way, that seems like a serious bug.  Removing
a disk should not destroy a complete replica, wether it is through
zpool detach and attach, or zpool offline and replace.

Chris