>> With zfs, there's this ominous
>> message saying "destroy the filesystem and restore
>> from tape". That's  not so good, for one corrupt
>> file.

> It is strictly correct that to restore the data you'd need
> to refer to a backup, in this case.

It is not, however, correct that to restore the data you need to destroy the
entire file system and restore it. If we’re stating that the fix for a bad
block in an individual data file is to reload the whole FS, there’s a
documentation issue. We should say something more like “An unrecoverable error
was found in ‘/homepool/johndoe/.login’. This file should be restored from
backup.”