Christopher Scott wrote:

I currently have a server that has a much higher rate of checksum errors than what you describe to be "normal." I knew it wasn't good but I figured if zfs is fixing it for me why mess with it?

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot where the problem might be coming from (aside from replacing hardware piece by piece) ?
Other than correlations between where the errors are occuring and the physical paths to things?

You'll probably want to check with your vendor (or vendors) for the various components. I don't know if yours is Sun hardware, but if so there's usually a test suite of some sort (VTS or others) that can exercise components individually and help to isolate such problems. This can be hard to do though, and not all problems can be caught. Still if it's Sun stuff and under contract/warranty, open a case and they'll give you some steps to diagnose (or in some cases, do it for you).

If it's a mix of vendors though, you may have some challenges as individual vendors may have specific requirements for any diagnosis tools, assuming they're available. Having been through this with customers in the past, it can be quite a challenge.

Consider yourself lucky that zfs is catching/correcting things!

- Matt

--
Matt Ingenthron - Web Infrastructure Solutions Architect
Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Global Systems Practice