On 11/30/06, David Elefante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I had the same thing happen to me twice on my x86 box.  I
installed ZFS (RaidZ) on my enclosure with four drives and
upon reboot the bios hangs upon detection of the newly EFI'd
drives.  I've already RMA'd 4 drives to seagate and the new
batch was frozen as well.  I was suspecting my enclosure,
but I was suspicious when it only went bye bye after installing ZFS.

This is a problem since how can anyone use ZFS on a PC???
My motherboard is a newly minted AM2 w/ all the latest
firmware.  I disabled boot detection on the sata channels and
it still refuses to boot.  I had to purchase an external SATA
enclosure to fix the drives.  This seems to me to be a serious
problem.  I put build 47 and 50 on there with the same issue.

Yes, this is a serious problem. It's a problem with your motherboard
bios, which is clearly not up to date. The Sun Ultra-20 bios was
updated with a fix for this issue back in May.

Until you have updated your bios, you will need to destroy the
EFI labels, write SMI labels to the disks, and create slices on those
disks which are the size that you want to devote to ZFS. Then you
can specify the slice name when you run your zpool create operation.

This has been covered in the ZFS discussion lists several times, and
a quick google search should have found the answer for you.

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
             http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog