On 22-Jan-07, at 4:03 PM, Richard Elling wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
That said, this definition is not always used consistently, as is the case with the x2100. I filed a bug against the docs in this case, and unfortunately
it was closed as "will not fix."  :-(
In the context of a hardware platform it makes little sense to
distinguish between hot-plug and hot-swap.  The distinction is purely
based on the capabilities of the software.

Agree. I filed the bug against the docs with the justification that it confuses customers. The bug was closed and we continue to have confused
customers :-(

Toby Thain wrote:
> To be clear: the X2100 drives are neither "hotswap" nor "hotplug" under
> Solaris. Replacing a failed drive requires a reboot.

I do not believe this is true, though I don't have one to test.

This error has been sufficiently addressed in later posts, I think...

If this
were true, then we would have had to rewrite the disk drivers to not allow
us to open a device more than once, even if we also closed the device.
I can't imagine anyone allowing such code to be written.

However, I don't believe this is the context of the issue. I believe that this release note deals with the use of NVRAID (NVidia's MCP RAID controller)
which does not have a systems management interface under Solaris.  The
solution is to not use NVRAID for Solaris. Rather, use the proven techniques
that we've been using for decades to manage hot plugging drives.

I have no interest in NVRAID whatsoever. I use SVM and ZFS.

Furthermore, NVRAID is the only method that *does* allow hotswap on X2100! (Bizarrely, only with Windows, which is of course useless to me too.)

--Toby

In short, the release note is confusing, so ignore it. Use x2100 disks as
hot pluggable like you've always used hot plug disks in Solaris.
 -- richard