On 12-Apr-07, at 11:51 PM, Rich Teer wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Toby Thain wrote:

Those who promulgate the tag for whatever motive - often agencies of Microsoft - have all foundered on the simple fact that the GPL applies ONLY to MY code as licensor (*and modifications thereto*); it has absolutely nothing to say
about what you do with YOUR code.

PLease correct me if I'm wrong: my understanding is that the granularity of the GPL is the "project"; all source files that make up that project
must be GPLed.  Is that correct?  I believe so, and the FSF's GPL FAQ
would seem to agree with me*:

Q: If I add a module to a GPL-covered program, do I have to use the GPL as the
   license for my module?

A: The GPL says that the whole combined program has to be released under the GPL.
   So your module has to be available for use under the GPL.

It says right there that if I want to add a new module (file/ whatever) to a GPLed program, I MUST USE THE GPL FOR MY CODE. I have no choice in this matter: the GPL has "spread" to my module, and can therefore be described
as being viral in nature.  QED.

IMHO, this is a faulty conclusion.

You can always *not use* MY code. The GPL applies, ab initio, only to MY code.

* See http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl- faq.html#GPLModuleLicense

The GPL, which as you know is built on copyright, is a purely voluntary license - revealing the analogy to be worthless and the claim pure FUD.

But it's not a voluntary license. If I want to contribute to a GPLed project,

The interesting use case of "contributing", and I think the one that spurred the creation of the GPL, is "I use this but I need to customise it a bit". In this situation it's quite reasonable that you would abide by the conditions I've chosen for the stuff you're using.

If you have a chunk of your work that you wish to disinterestedly check into somebody's GPL project, then it may seem as if the license is an imposition. But it's not: You can still publish it elsewhere under any license.

my code must also be GPLed; I have no say in the matter. Contrast this to the CDDL: provided the license I choose for my files is compatible with the CDDL, I can license my code however I like. Unlike the GPL, my code does NOT have to CDDLed, and therefore the CDDL cannot be said to be viral in
nature.

'Viral' is just not the right term. Rather than spreading it (as I say, associated with some of the ugliest and most dishonest campaigns), it seems you should just admit that you personally don't happen to like this clause of the GPL (which is designed to protect users from familiar catastrophes). But many do, or they wouldn't deliberately choose this license.

But this is OT enough by now.

--Toby

Viruses - whether biological or Windows-borne - are not something you
generally get to refuse.

See above.

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

CEO,
My Online Home Inventory

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich