On Oct 16, 2007, at 4:36 PM, Jonathan Loran wrote:

> We use compression on almost all of our zpools.  We see very little
> if any I/O slowdown because of this, and you get free disk space.
> In fact, I believe read I/O gets a boost from this, since
> decompression is cheap compared to normal disk I/O.

Same here. For our workload (many writes, relatively few reads), we
saw at least a 5x increase in performance (says a developer
offhandedly when I ask him) when we enabled compression. I was
expecting a boost, but I recall being surprised by how much quicker
it was.

I have not enabled it everywhere, just in specific places where disk
I/O is being contended for, and CPU is in abundance.
--
bda
cyberpunk is dead. long live cyberpunk.