From: "Robert Milkowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> LDAP servers with several dozen millions accounts?
> Why? First you get about 2:1 compression ratio with lzjb, and you also
> get better performance.

a busy ldap server certainly seems a good fit for compression but when i
said "large" i meant, as in bytes and numbers of files :)

seriously, is anyone out there using zfs for large "storage" servers?  you
know, the same usage that 90% of the storage sold in the world is used for ?
(yes, i pulled that figure out of my *ss ;)

are my concerns invalid with the current implementation of zfs with
compression ?  is the compression so lightweight that it can be decompressed
as fast as the disks can stream uncompressed backup data to tape while the
server is still servicing clients ?  the days of "nightly" backups seem long
gone in the space I've been working in the last several years... backups run
almost 'round the clock it seems on our biggest systems (15-30Tb and
150-300mil files , which may be small by the standard of others of you out
there.)

what really got my eyes rolling about c9n and prompted my question was all
this talk about gzip compression and other even heavierweight compression
algor's.  lzjb is relatively lightweight but i could still see it being a
bottleneck in a 'weekly full backups' scenario unless you had a very new
system with kilowatts of cpu to spare.  gzip ? pulease.  bzip and lzma
someone has *got* to be joking ?  i see these as ideal candiates for AVS
scenarios where the aplication never requires full dumps to tape, but on a
typical storage server ?  the compression would be ideal but would also make
it impossible to backup in any reasonable "window".

back to my postulation, if it is correct, what about some NDMP interface to
ZFS ?  it seems a more than natural candidate.  in this scenario,
compression would be a boon since the blocks would already be in a
compressed state.  I'd imagine this fitting into the 'zfs send' codebase
somewhere.

thoughts (on either c9n and/or 'zfs send ndmp') ?

-=dave