Dave Johnson wrote:
> From: "Robert Milkowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> LDAP servers with several dozen millions accounts?
>> Why? First you get about 2:1 compression ratio with lzjb, and you also
>> get better performance.
>>

> a busy ldap server certainly seems a good fit for compression but when i
> said "large" i meant, as in bytes and numbers of files :)
>
> seriously, is anyone out there using zfs for large "storage" servers?  you
> know, the same usage that 90% of the storage sold in the world is used for ?
> (yes, i pulled that figure out of my *ss ;)

We're using ZFS compression on Netbackup Disk Cache Media Servers.  I
have 3 media servers with 42TB usable each, with compression enabled.  I
had to wait for Sol10 U4 to run compression because these are T2000's
and there was a problem that zfs was using only 1 compression thread per
pool which made it too slow.  But after U4, I have no problem handling
bursts of nearly 2Gbit/s of backup streams in over the network while
still spooling to a pair of 30MByte/s tape drives on each server.

-Andy