From: Mike Gerdts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 5:14 PM
To: Sengor
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Help needed ZFS vs Veritas Comparison

On Dec 28, 2007 8:40 AM, Sengor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Real comparison of features should include scenarios such as:
>
> - how ZFS/VxVM compare in BCV like environments (eg. when volumes are
> presented back to the same host)
> - how they all cope with various multipathing solutions out there
> - Filesystem vs Volume snapshots
> - Portability within cluster like environments (SCSI reserves & LUN
> visibility to multiple synchronous hosts)
> - Disaster recovery scenarios
> - Ease/Difficulty with data migrations across physical arrays
> - Boot volumes
> - Online vs Offline attribute/parameter changes

Very good list!

> I can't think of more right now, it's way past midnight here ;)

How about these?

- Integration with backup system
- Active-active cluster (parallel file system) capabilities
- Integration with OS maintenance activities (install, upgrade, patching,
etc.)
- Relative performance on anticipated workload
- Staffing issues (what do people know, how many hours to train, how
long before proficiency)
- Supportability on multiple platforms at the site (e.g. Solaris,
Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)
- Impact of failure modes (missing license key especially major system
changes, on-disk corruption)
- Opportunities to do things previously not possible

ZFS doesn't win on many of those, but with the improvements that I
have seen throughout the storage stack it is somewhat likely that the
required improvements are already on the roadmap.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/