Sengor wrote:
> While on a VCS course on a Symantec site, I was told VxVM is planned
> to be open sourced some time in near future. In either case the cost
> is a large factor here, VxVM does not come cheap (unless you use VxSF
> Basic http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=sfbasic which
> is free).

VxVM has far fewer features than ZFS, you really can't compare them.
You could compare VxVM to SVM more directly.

> I see  VxSF Basic being an immediate competitor to ZFS where the cost
> does not count as much.

Yes, I think VxSF Basic is a good thing, but it would not exist if there
were no competitive pressures from the OS *and* hardware vendors.  The
competitive landscape for the low-end systems clearly dictates that, for
today, (software and hardware) RAID is free($).
  -- richard