On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> where it decided to remove the GNU tar I had installed there.  Star
> does not support traditional tar command line syntax so it can't be
> used with existing scripts.  Performance testing showed that it was no
> more efficient than the 'gtar' which comes with Solaris.  It seems

There is something I should clarify in the above.  Star is a stickler
for POSIX command line syntax so syntax like 'tar -cvf foo.tar' or
'tar cvf foo.tar' does not work, but 'tar -c -v -f foo.tar' does work.

Testing with Star, GNU tar, and Solaris cpio showed that Star and GNU
tar were able to archive the content of my home directory with no
complaint whereas Solaris cpio required specification of the 'ustar'
format in order to deal with long file and path names, as well as
large inode numbers.  Solaris cpio complained about many things with
my files (e.g. unresolved passwd and group info), but managed to
produce the highest throughput when archiving to a disk file.

I can not attest to the ability of these tools to deal with ACLs since
I don't use them.

Bob