On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> I re-ran my little test today and do see that 'star' does produce
> somewhat reduced overall run time but does not consume less CPU than
> GNU tar.  This is just a test of the time to archive the files in my
> home directory.  My home directory is in a zfs filesystem.  The output
> is written to a file in the same storage pool but a different
> filesystem.  This time around I used default block sizes rather than
> 128K.  Overall throughput seems on the order of 40MB/second.

Cool.  Can one selectively restore files from an archive created by
Star?  For example, if I archive everything under /home/rich, can I
just restore /home/rich/some/random/file?  What about with Star's
competitors, tar, gtar, pax, and cpio?  (I guess I should investigate
each of those tools one day!)

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

CEO,
My Online Home Inventory

URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer