Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > People who like to backup usually also like to do incremental backups.
> > Why don't you?
>
> I do like incremental backups.  But the ability to do incremental backups
> and restore arbitrary files from an archive are two different things.  An
> incremental backup backs up files that have changed since the most recent
> backup, so suppose my home directory contains 1000 files, 100 of which have
> changed since my last backup.  I perform an incremental backup of my home
> directory, and the resulting archive contains those 100 files.
>
> Now suppose that I accidentally delete a couple of those files; it is very
> desirable to be able to restore just a certain named subset of the files
> in an archive rather than having to restore the whole archive.  I'm looking
> for a tool that can do that.

Why do you believe that an incremental backup disallows to extract single files?

The nice fact with tar based backps is that you have a tar archive with
additional properties. Anything you may do with a tar archive applies to
a full or incremental backup made by star.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)