Bob Friesenhahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> > where it decided to remove the GNU tar I had installed there.  Star
> > does not support traditional tar command line syntax so it can't be
> > used with existing scripts.  Performance testing showed that it was no
> > more efficient than the 'gtar' which comes with Solaris.  It seems
>
> There is something I should clarify in the above.  Star is a stickler
> for POSIX command line syntax so syntax like 'tar -cvf foo.tar' or
> 'tar cvf foo.tar' does not work, but 'tar -c -v -f foo.tar' does work.

Not true:

GNU tar has many deviations from the historical tar command line syntax that
is describes in the SUSv2 standard. Star, when called "tar", is 100% compatible
to SUSv2. Star (called star) still is very close to SUSv2 but it disallows all
constructs that are a security risk.

Many people believe that star is not compliant because they compare to the
non compliant GNU tar.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)