Bill Shannon wrote:
> I just wanted to follow up on this issue I raised a few weeks ago.
>
> With help from several of you, I had all the information and tools
> I needed to start debugging my problem.  Which of course meant that
> my problem disappeared!
>
> At one point my theory was that ksh93 was updating my .history file
> periodically.  Well, it still does update my .history file at times
> when nothing else seems to be going on, but that's not the cause of
> the periodic disk accesses I was seeing.  (Maybe someone else wants
> to track this down further but I'm ignoring it.)
>
> Another problem I've noticed is that thunderbird very frequently
> updates the panacea.dat file.  Does anyone know what's in this file?
> If I take thunderbird offline, the updates become much less frequent,
> although they don't seem to stop entirely.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_folders_in_the_profile_-_Thunderbird

says "Mail folder cache".  It's vaguely textish (they have their own goofy
compressed database format that I've looked at before, called "mork") and seems
to be date and time stamps of other mail cache files.
So sort of a master cache directory.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird#Files_and_folders_in_the_profile

has some info too