G'Day,

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 08:58:53PM -0800, Bill Shannon wrote:

> > Ed:
> > That's not entirely accurate. I believe ZFS does lead to bdev_strategy
> > being called and io:::start
> > will fire for ZFS I/Os. The problem is that a ZFS I/O can be servicing a
> > number of ZFS operations on a
> > number of different files (which is a great performance enabler). Given
> > that we can't map an I/O to a file,
> > iosnoop does not report the file info.
>
> Still seems like iosnoop ought to be fixed, or a warning added.

Yes, I've added that to my todo list.  It should explain why in
Notes/iosnoop_notes.txt, and note the behaviour of the cached pathname
in the manpage and the script.

Sorry for the confusion.  I'll investigate if it's appropriate to
include fssnoop/fstop scripts, for snooping at the VFS level (especially
if I can make them fsinfo::: based) where pathnames should still be
available in ZFS.  It'll include logical I/O, but may still solve the
question of which files and which processes are causing disk I/O.

This is the correct forum for DTraceToolkit bugs, BTW.  I might not be
able to respond right away, but they will get read and added to the
DTraceToolkit todo list if appropriate. :)

cheers,

Brendan

--
Brendan