Paul B. Henson wrote:
> Historically I've used hardware raid1 for the boot disks on my servers.
> With the availability of ZFS root, I want to explore making the two
> underlying drives directly available to the operating system and create a
> ZFS mirror to avail of error detection and self-healing.
>
> The current openSolaris installer, when given an entire disk, partitions
> it into two slices: s0 for the ZFS pool, and s1 for swap.

This is because OpenSolaris 2008.05 is based on NV b86 which does not
have the fix for

         5008936 ZFS and/or zvol should support dumps
         5070124 dumpadm -d /dev/... does not enforce block
             device requirement for savecore
         6633197 zvol should not permit newfs or createpool while
             it's in use by swap or dump

which were integrated into NV b88 as part of ZFS boot support,
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/on/flag-days/pages/2008041103

As they say, timing is everything...
 -- richard