On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 02:40:34AM -0700, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> the SAS drives, at a mere 7200 RPM can sustain a sequential transfer
> rate about 2.5x that of the 10KRPM FC drives!).

I think that't my favorite part about these new high density drives.
Don't get me wrong, a TB (or more!) in a single 3.5" drive is an amazing
thing, but even moreso is the ability to have a higher transfer rate.
What works out even better is the fact that unlike most other filesystems,
I think ZFS can really take advantage of that.

I was doing so heavy read/write activity on my colo-ed box, and it's neat
to watch 'zpool iostat' since it was reading at a constant rate but the
write would wait for the txg and so there would be no write activity and
then full blast for a second.

That's just a perfect combination of technologies.

Now to get that box upgraded to snv90 or better. ;)

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of