On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

> Hmm...my SB2K, 2GB RAM, 2x 1050MHz UltraSPARC III Cu CPU, seems
> to freeze momentarily for a couple of seconds every now and then in
> a zfs root setup on snv_90, which it never did with mostly ufs on snv_81;
> that despite having much faster disks now (LSI SAS 3800X and a pair of
> Seagate 1TB SAS drives (mirrored), vs the 2x internal 73GB FC drives;
> the SAS drives, at a mere 7200 RPM can sustain a sequential transfer
> rate about 2.5x that of the 10KRPM FC drives!).

Did you enable compression in the filesystem?  Do the freezes occur
while writing files at high rates?

I have tested zfs compression here on a Solaris 10U4 system and notice
that when data is written at a high rate, the user interface tends to
become quite jerky.  It seems that compression is best reserved for
read-mostly filesystems and not for working data.

Bob