mike wrote:

> Sorry :)
>
> Okay, so you can create a zpool from multiple vdevs. But you cannot
> add more vdevs to a zpool once the zpool is created. Is that right?
Nope. That's exactly what you *CAN* do.

So say today you only really need 6TB usable, you could go buy 8 of your
1TB disks,
and setup a pool with a single 7 disk RAIDZ1 vDev, and a single spare
today. Later
when disks are cheaper, and you need the space you could add a second 7
disk RAIDZ1
to the pool. This way you'd gradually grow into exaclty the example you
gave earlier.

Also while it makes sense to use the same size drives in the same vDev,
additional vDevs you add later can easily be made from different size
drives. For the exaple above, when you got around to adding the second
vDev, 2TB disks might be out, for the same space, you could create a
vDev with fewer 2TB drives, or a vDev with the same number of drives and
add twice the space, or some combo inbetween - Just because oyur first
vDev had 7 disks doesn't mean the others have to.

Antoher note, as someone said earlier, if you can go to 16 drives, you
should consider 2 8disk RAIDZ2 vDevs, over 2 7disk RAIDZ vDevs with a
spare, or (I would think) even a 14disk RAIDZ2 vDev with a spare.

If you can (now or later) get room to have 17 drives, 2 8disk RAIDZ2
vDevs with a spare would be your best bet. And remember you can grow
into it... 1 vDev and spare now, second vDev later.

  -Kyle