On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, mike wrote:

> Oh sorry - for boot I don't care if it's redundant or anything.

8-O

> Worst case the drive fails, I replace it and reinstall, and just re-mount the
> ZFS stuff.

If you use a ZFS mirrored root, you just replace a drive when it
fails.  None of this reinstall nonsense.

> If I have the space in the case and the ports I could get a pair of
> 80 gig drives or something and mirror them using SVM (which was
> recommended to me by someone) or use ZFS for it, but I was a bit
> nervous since ZFS boot is still so new, but that'd be just a mirror

ZFS boot works fine; it only recently integrated into Nevada, but it
has been in use for quite some time now.

> I was told to partition this way to make liveupgrade easy:
>
> /
> /lu = identical space as /
> swap

Even better: just use ZFS root and let it handle the details.

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

CEO,
My Online Home Inventory