On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 06:01:18PM -0700, Jean Dion wrote:
> Do you have dedicated iSCSI ports from your server to your NetApp?

Yes, it's a dedicated redundant gigabit network.

> iSCSI requires dedicated network and not a shared network or even VLAN.
> Backup cause large I/O that fill your network quickly.  Like ans SAN today.
>
> Backup are extremely demanding on hardware (CPU, Mem, I/O ports, disk etc).
> Not rare to see performance issues during backup with several thousands small
> files.  Each small file cause seeks to your disk and file system.
>
> As the number of files and size you will be impact.  That means, thousand of
> small files cause thousand of small I/O but not a lot of throughput.

What statistics can I generate to observe this contention?  ZFS pool I/O
statistics are not that different when the backup is running.

> Bigger your file are more likely the block will be consecutive on the file
> system.  Small file can be spread in the entire file system causing seeks,
> latency and bottleneck.
>
> Legato client and server contains tuning parameters to avoid such small file
> problems.  Check your Legato buffer parameters.  These buffer will use your
> server memory as disk cache.

I'll ask our backup person to investigate those settings.  I assume that
Networker should not be buffering files since those files won't be read
again.  How can I see memory usage by ZFS and by applications?

> Here is a good source of network tuning parameters for your T2000
> http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/Networks#Tunable_for_general_workloads_on_T1000.2FT2000
>
> The soft_ring is one of the best one.
>
> Here is another interesting place to look
> http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/Solaris_Internals_and_Performance_FAQ

Thanks.  I'll review those documents.