Normal iSCSI setup split network traffic at physical layer and not logical layer. That mean physical ports and often physical PCI bridge chip if you can.  That will be fine for small traffic but we are talking backup performance issues.  IP network and number of small files are very often the bottlenecks.

If you want performance you do not put all your I/O across the same physical wire.  Once again you cannot go faster than the physical wire can support (CAT5E, CAT6, fibre).  No matter if it is layer 2 or not. Using VLAN on single port you "share" the bandwidth and not creating more Gbits speed with Layer 2.

iSCSI best practice require separated physical network. Many books, white papers are written about this.

This is like any FC SAN implementation.   We always split the workload between disk and tape using more than one HBA.  Never forget , backup are intensive I/O and  will fill the entire I/O path.

Jean