On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Marc Bevand wrote:

> Doh! I said the opposite of what I meant. Let me rephrase: "The SAS drive
> offers at most 2x-3x the IOPS (optimistic), but at 180/40=4.5x the price.
> Therefore the SATA drive has better IOPS/$."

I doubt that anyone will successfully argue that SAS drives offer the
best IOPS/$ value as long as space, power, and reliability factors may
be ignored.  However, these sort of enterprise devices exist in order
to allow enterprises to meet critical business demands which are
otherwise not possible to be met.

There are situations where space, power, and cooling are limited and
the cost of the equipment is less of an issue since the space, power,
and cooling cost more than the equipment.

Bob