Thanks for the info. I am not really after big performance, I am already on
SATA and it's good enough for me. What I really really can't afford is data
loss. The CAD designs our engineers are working on can sometimes be really
worth a lot. But still we're a small company and would rather save and buy
SATA drives if it is "Safe"
I now understand MTBF is next to useless (at least directly), the RAID
optimizer tables don't take how failure rates go up with years, so it's not
really accurate. My question now is if I will use high quality Barracuda
nearline 1TB sata 7200 disks, and configure them as 8 disks in a raidz2
configuration.

What is the "real/practical" possibility that I will face data loss during
the next 5 years for example ? As storage experts please help me
interpret whatever numbers you're going to throw, so is it a "really really
small chance", or would you be worried about it ?

Thanks