On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Ahmed Kamal wrote:

> What is the "real/practical" possibility that I will face data loss during
> the next 5 years for example ? As storage experts please help me
> interpret whatever numbers you're going to throw, so is it a "really really
> small chance", or would you be worried about it ?

No one can tell you the answer to this.  Certainly math can be
formulated which shows that the pyramids in Egypt will be completely
flattened before you experience data loss.  Obviously that math has
little value once it exceeds the lifetime of the computer by many
orders of magnitude.

Raidz2 is about as good as it gets on paper.  Bad things can still
happen which are unrelated to what raidz2 protects against or are a
calamity which impacts all the hardware in the system.  If you care
about your data, make sure that you have a working backup system.

Bob