Ok, I'm not entirely sure this is the same problem, but it does sound fairly
similar.  Apologies for hijacking the thread if this does turn out to be
something else.

After following the advice here to get mbuffer working with zfs send / receive,
I found I was only getting around 10MB/s throughput.  Thinking it was a network
problem I started the below thread in the OpenSolaris help forum:
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=294846

Now though I don't think it's network at all.  The end result from that thread
is that we can't see any errors in the network setup, and using nicstat and NFS
I can show that the server is capable of 50-60MB/s over the gigabit link.
Nicstat also shows clearly that both zfs send / receive and mbuffer are only
sending 1/5 of that amount of data over the network.

I've completely run out of ideas of my own (but I do half expect there's a
simple explanation I haven't thought of).  Can anybody think of a reason why
both zfs send / receive and mbuffer would be so slow?