On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 10:45 -0600, Neil Perrin wrote:
> Yes: 6280630 zil synchronicity
>
> Though personally I've been unhappy with the exposure that zil_disable has
> got.
> It was originally meant for debug purposes only. So providing an official
> way to make synchronous behaviour asynchronous is to me dangerous.

It seems far more dangerous to only provide a global knob instead of a
local knob.

I want it in conjunction with bulk operations (like an ON "nightly"
build, database reloads, etc.) where the response to a partial failure
will be to rm -rf and start over.  Any time spent waiting for
intermediate states of the filesystem to be committed to stable store is
wasted time.

> >    Once Admins start to disable the ZIL for whole pools because the extra
> >    performance is too tempting, wouldn't it be the lesser evil to let them
> >    disable it on a per filesystem basis?

Agreed.