Hi,

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Constantin Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>> Yes, we're both aware of this. In this particular situation, the customer
>> would restart his backup job (and thus the client application) in case
>> the
>> server dies.
>
> So it is ok for this customer if their backup becomes silently corrupted
> and the backup software continues running?  Consider that some of the
> backup files may have missing or corrupted data in the middle.  Your
> customer is quite dedicated in that he will monitor the situation very
> well and remember to reboot the backup system, correct any corrupted
> files, and restart the backup software whenever the server panics and
> reboots.

This is what the customer told me. He uses rsync and he is ok with restarting
the rsync whenever the NFS server restarts.

> A properly built server should be able to handle NFS writes at gigabit
> wire-speed.

I'm advocating for a properly built system, believe me :).

Cheers,
    Constantin

--
Constantin Gonzalez                              Sun Microsystems GmbH, Germany
Principal Field Technologist                    http://blogs.sun.com/constantin

Sitz d. Ges.: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028