Le 23 oct. 08 à 05:40, Constantin Gonzalez a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>>
>> The conclusion reached here is quite seriously wrong and no Sun
>> employee should suggest it to a customer.  If the system writing to a
>
> I'm not suggesting it to any customer. Actually, I argued quite a
> long time
> with the customer, trying to convince him that "slow but correct" is
> better.
>
> The conclusion above is a conscious decision by the customer. He
> says that he
> does not want NFS to turn any write into a synchronous write, he's
> happy if
> all writes are asynchronous, because in this case the NFS server is
> a backup to
> disk device and if power fails he simply restarts the backup 'cause
> he has the
> data in multiple copies anyway.

The case of a full backup (but not incremental) where an operator  is
monitoring that the server stays up
for the full duration (or does the manual restart of the operation)
seems like a singular case where this might make half sense.

But as was stated, for performance which is the goal here, better use
a bulk type transfer of data through some specific protocol
(as opposed to NFS small file manipulations). What this creates is
that  failure of the server has immediate obvious repercusion on the
client,
and things can be restarted without further coordination.

I understand also that with NFS directory delegation or Exclusive
mount points one could solve this NFS peculiarity
(which is totally unrelated to ZFS, and not to be confused with the
ZFS / SAN storage cache flush condition).

If CIFS is not subject to the same penalty, I can only assume that the
integrity of the client's view cannot be guaranteed after a server
crash.
Anyone knows this for sure ?
-r