Ian Collins wrote:
> On Thu 13/11/08 12:04 , River Tarnell [EMAIL PROTECTED] sent:
>> are there any RFEs or plans to create a 'continuous' replication mode for
>> ZFS?i envisage it working something like this: a 'zfs send' on the sending
>> hostmonitors the pool/filesystem for changes, and immediately sends them to
>> thereceiving host, which applies the change to the remote pool.
>>
>> currently i crontab zfs send | zfs recv for this, but even a small delay
>> (10minutes) makes it less useful than continuous replication, as most changed
>> ornewly created files in our workload are accessed shortly after
>> creation.
>
> Would it be a practical solution?  I doubt zfs receive would be able to keep
> pace with any non-trivial update rate.
>
> Mirroring iSCSI or a dedicated HA tool would be a better solution.

Any block-level replication will happily replicate block-level
corruption (especially that caused by file system bugs). This can be a
Very Bad Thing. Also, without some cluster file system you can't run
backups off the replica (which is frequently desirable).

NetApp has a "best effort" real-time snapmirror that does what the OP
wants. ZFS could do the same thing, and it would be very nice to have. A
real synchronous option would also be nice (yes, it would probably slow
down writes on the master side, but sometimes that's an OK tradeoff for
zero loss of "committed" data when your main data center goes buh-bye).

--
Carson