River Tarnell wrote:
> Daryl Doami:
>> As an aside, replication has been implemented as part of the new Storage
>> 7000 family.  Here's a link to a blog discussing using the 7000
>> Simulator running in two separate VMs and replicating w/ each other:
>
> that's interesting, although 'less than a minute later' makes me suspect they
> might just be using snapshots and send/recv?

That's correct. The question is: why isn't that sufficient? What are you
really after? If you want synchronous replication (i.e., writes are
blocked until they're replicated to another host), that's a very
different problem. But your original post suggested:

> a 'zfs send' on the sending host
> monitors the pool/filesystem for changes, and immediately sends them to the
> receiving host, which applies the change to the remote pool.

This is asynchronous, and isn't really different from running zfs
send/recv in a loop. Whether the loop is in userland or in the kernel,
either way you're continuously pushing changes across the wire.

> presumably, if fishworks is based on (Open)Solaris, any new ZFS features they
> created will make it back into Solaris proper eventually...

Replication in the 7000 series is mostly built _on top of_ the existing
ZFS infrastructure.

-- Dave

--
David Pacheco, Sun Microsystems Fishworks.     http://blogs.sun.com/dap/