Hello Mattias,

Saturday, November 15, 2008, 12:24:05 AM, you wrote:

MP> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 00:46, Richard Elling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Adam Leventhal wrote:

>>> What the Sun Storage 7000 Series does would more accurately be described
>>> as
>>> dual active-passive.
>>>

>> This is ambiguous in the cluster market.  It is common to describe
>> HA clusters where each node can be offering services concurrently,
>> as active/active, even though the services themselves are active/passive.
>> This is to appease folks who feel that idle secondary servers are a bad
>> thing.

MP> But this product is not in the cluster market. It is in the storage market.

MP> By your definition virtually all dual controller RAID boxes are
active/active.

MP> You should talk to Veritas so that they can change all their
documentation...

MP> Active/active and active/passive has a real technical meaning, don't
MP> let marketing destroy that!

I thought that when you can access the same LUN via different
controller then you have a symmetric disk array and when you can't you
have an asymmetric one. It has nothing to do with active-active or
active-standby. Most of a disk arrays in the marked are active-active
and asymmetric.

--
Best regards,
 Robert Milkowski                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]