> Regarding the GUI, I don't know how to disable it.
> There are no virtual consoles, and unlike older
> versions of SunOS and Solaris, it comes up in XDM
> and there is no [apparent] way to get a shell
> without running gnome.  I am sure that there is, but
> again, I come from the BSD/SunOS/Linux line, and
> have not learned the ins and outs of Nevada/Indiana
> yet.

While we are veering a little of topic here, you can disable gdm (for indiana)
or cde-login for Nevada to get to the console mode. In Nevada, you can also
select console login from the gui and it will close it down for you to login at
a text console.

> News Flash!  It has come out of it, and is moving
> along now at 2 MB/sec.  GUI is responsive with an
> occasional stutter.  It was going through a directory
> structure full of .mp3 and .flac files.    Perhaps
> the gzip algorithm gets hung up in the data patterns
> they create.

For a few more details, the test I was doing was attempting to copy around 1TB
of data via ssh and zfs send | zfs receive. My data was all pretty
compressible, no jpegs, mp3s etc. Lots of source and log files.